Saint Jean Eudes Founder of the Congregation of Jesus and Mary 1601-1680
FR. Jean-Jacques Blouet de Camilly, 2th General Superior 1680-1711
FR. Guy de Fontaines de Neuilly, 3th General Superior 1711-1727
FR. Pierre Cousin 4th General Superior 1727-1751
FR. Jean Prosper Auvray de St-André 5th General Superior 1751-1770
FR. Michel Lefèvre 6th General Superior 1770-1775
FR. Pierre Le Cocq 7th General Superior 1775-1777
FR. François Pierre Dumont 8th General
The Eudists are jointly responsible for the life and apostolate of the Congregation: living and developing their mission together in the same way that Jesus and his apostles did. Jesus, the Son of God, wanted to share the human condition to reveal to the world the coming of the Kingdom of God. He gathered around him twelve disciples and he made them his companions and his envoys.
United with Christ as members following his lead1, Eudists gather in fraternal communities, to follow the example
The Greater Eudist Family is a network of congregations and lay groups living the spiritual heritage of St. John Eudes. It includes two congregations founded directly by him, as well as other congregations that have him as their spiritual father. Here are some of them:
SISTERS OF OUR LADY OF CHARITY
The Institute of the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity was founded by St. John Eudes in 1641 in Caen, France. Their main ministry is working with "women in need": offering counseling services in
In seventeenth-century France, Cardinal Pierre de Bérulle founded what is called the French School of Spirituality, a spiritual current, well known in the Christocentric XVIIth century, but with a mystical side particular to this School.
This path and spiritual experience emphasized that Christ is not only the model, the goal and the invisible drive of our spiritual life; and that we are not only in contact with Him, but that we are one with Him and that with Him we are one mystical person
After the death of St. John Eudes, the congregation continued its development. On the eve of the French Revolution, the Eudists directed fifteen seminaries along with some schools and parishes.
The Revolution, in 1792, closed all the houses and scattered the priests. Four of them, led by Father Francisco Louis Hébert, coadjutor of the superior general, were martyred in Paris. The church beatified them in 1926.
With great difficulty, the Congregation was restored later (1826) around one of
St. John Eudes founded a congregation that is both apostolic and fraternal. He wanted his priests to be holy because their priesthood is also holy. Therefore, we do not have vows aside from those of priestly ordination and the ones acquired in baptism. In the Church today, this is known as a Society of Apostolic Life.
The Eudists, as members of a society of apostolic life seek to develop qualities that promote communitarian life and work: openness, respect for others, the ability to listen
The Eudists are laborers in the field of evangelization; we work to renew the faith of the people of God. As a congregation, we also seek to ensure that the Church always has good shepherds. We collaborate according to our abilities and the requests of bishops to work in vocations, pastoral training and service to priests and other ministers.
Ultimately, Eudists seek to continue and complete in themselves the life of Jesus. Per St. John Eudes, we recognize our Congregation to be founded on: